The Chinese Flagship Program at Brigham Young University (BYU) was created in 2002 with help from the National Security Education Program (NSEP). In 2012 NSEP combined with the Defense Language Office (DLO) to become the Defense Language National Security Education Office (DLNSEO).
The MISSION of the Chinese Flagship Program is to create global professionals who can function culturally and linguistically in the professional Chinese world.
In collaboration with the Chinese Section of the Department of Asian and Near Eastern Languages, the Chinese Flagship Program helps students reach high levels of professional language proficiency in Chinese in their chosen field of study. We offer:
- Individualized and directed study with Flagship faculty members
- Native peer tutors
- Specialty language materials tailored to goals of the learner
- Special online and computer-based tools
- Overseas courses in students’ career fields
- Internships in the student’s field of interest
- College Courses at NanJing University in the student’s career field
- Internships in the student’s field of interest so that students achieve competence in Chinese but also have experience in their chosen field in China.
The Flagship Program is an intense and rewarding language program that enhances student’s career goals through studying Chinese for professional purposes. It consists of two phases:
- Campus study focused on professional language and culture
- Direct enrollment at either Nanjing University in China or National Yang-Ming University in Taiwan along with an Internship in a Chinese institution in your related field of study
Choose an Option to see More
Learn More about Assessments
See More about the Chinese Capstone
Find ways to Fund your Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Tips and Preparation
Visit the Nanjing Website