Preparation for Oversea Program and Internships


The Language Flagship offers overseas programs in Taiwan and in China. See Link for the Taiwan Program.


Health and Travel

See Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for information on foreign travel and health.




There are two main ways to get from the Shanghai airport to Nanjing:

  • Option 1

    Purchase a long distance bus ticket at the airport, which will take you to Gulou bus terminal in Nanjing, then take a short taxi ride to the University area.

  • Option 2

    Take the airport shuttle to the Shanghai train station for approximately 15 kuai or a taxi for 200 kuai. The "D" trains (dong che) get you to Nanjing in 2 hours, while the other trains take 3.5-4 hours. Sometimes it is worth staying overnight at a hostel and hopping on the "D" train the next morning if tickets are sold out. If taking a train, be sure to get off the train at the Nanjing Train Station. From the train station you can hop on a taxi to the university or hostels (approximately 15-17 kuai). Be cautious of your surroundings.


If you are flying into Nanjing Lukou Airport (flying to Peking International then connecting to Nanjing Lukou), the taxi ride to Nanjing University or the hotels would be around 125-135 kuai. You can also opt to airport bus to Zhonghuamen metro station (25 kuai for the bus), then take a taxi to the hotels (approximately 15-20 kuai).



If you have not already, please be sure to apply for a passport as soon as possible. For more information on applying for a passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State Passport home. As Flagship students studying abroad at Nanjing University, students will need to apply for a study X Visa. X Visa is issued to an alien who comes to China for study, advanced studies or for internships. Nanjing University will be sponsoring your visa from September through January. Policies for applying visas have changed slightly so please be sure to check the embassy website frequently for updates. Generally, to apply for an X Visa, students will need:

  • Invitation Letter (to come to Nanjing University)

  • JW 202 (to come from Nanjing University). Students will need to provide some required information to Zhang laoshi before she can provide the JW202

  • Visa Application (Read more below)

  • Valid Passport

  • Submit Fees (Subject to change)